Thursday, July 19, 2012

Bridesmaids Dresses, a study.




Photos by Joe Tanis


 I've watched 27 dresses, (it's actually really funny, don't judge me) and there were some amazing dresses in that movie, all of them terrible. I learned, that most of these dresses were bought for this movie! They were made ON PURPOSE to sell to the public, not just dreamed up by a costume designer challenged to make 27 terrible dresses!


We all know these dresses have a really bad rap. As a designer, I've given this a lot of thought, why are they so often unattractive? And when they are really great, why doesn't anyone say anything about it? You'd think it would be similar to seeing a unicorn. You want it to be true, cute dresses that could be worn again! And yet they get so little attention.


There is something about the "Bridesmaid Dress" that just has a specific look to it. I haven't figured out why that is.


In full disclosure, the only times I've been a bridesmaid, it's been for my siblings and I designed my own dress, (theirs too) so the only person I had to complain to about what I was wearing was myself (I'm a designer, it happens).


Pictured is the outfit I designed to be a "bridesmaid" or bridesmaid-like (it was a nontraditional wedding) for my brother's wedding. And remarkably, I have worn it again (not always together). I love this outfit. It's a corset with a circle skirt with pockets. It was really fun to wear. (It was also 103 degrees that day and really difficult to breathe in this corset.)

Now, I'm in the happy position to be inviting people to stand up for me, and I'm totally stumped! How to make something lovely, (nursing friendly) practical, flattering and affordable. Oh! and that hopefully that they can wear again. Okay, go!


Thoughts? I'm open to suggestions.

3 comments:

  1. i think separates are the way to go. that way your maids can def'ly wear the pieces again, like you do! i feel like unless it's SUPER casual they're not going to wear the dress again, even to something fancy... alison's sister wore a sweater and a long skirt as MOH in 1999; the sweater is still a staple in her wardrobe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. I keep thinking of the kinds of cocktail dresses that I would wear multiple times and somehow, they don't look like bridesmaid dresses...
      But the separates are really nice, flexible. I love the idea of someone having a wardrobe staple that was wore in someone's wedding.. that's awesome.

      Delete
  2. Each year, the different fashions of bridesmaid dresses are released in a fashion show. The engaged girls have to be up to date before purchasing their wedding dress. There are wedding app is available to finish your shopping very easily by searching the best dress vendors.

    ReplyDelete